Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Haha SUCKER!






Look at us--our first video!!!! Yesterday, my mom reported that Callan spent most of the day working on getting his right thumb into his mouth. While this was obviously exhausting work, he got quite a bit of practice in and is now very proud of his latest accomplishment---fist sucking. I'm not sure if this skill will be honed into thumb sucking or not, time will tell. I found it pretty entertaining to watch him try this (and my mom did too!!!) so I thought we'd try a little video...if there were sound you could here the sweet little suck suck suck he is doing. He is pretty enamored with this...last night I had to hold his hand just to see a smile without a fist in it.



In addition to finding his fist on a consistent basis, Callan has been working on a lot of new things. He is showing a lot more interest in his surroundings. He will follow people's movements across a room and is starting to enjoy his toys a little more; holding his rattles (see pic) and looking at pictures in his books. His favorite toy right now is the mobile--he loves to watch it and listen to the music...and according to Grandma Char, he also enjoys kicking it when you hold him near it. Of course we do not encourage such behavior!!! ; )



Since our last post I have "officially" returned to work and Callan has been spending his days with my mom. While I miss him like crazy, Callan loves my mom and I can tell he enjoys being with her. And Grandma Char thinks he is pretty special, too! Vegas is working on adjusting to the idea that she is not coming over just to see him...he has been experimenting with some attention seeking behaviors...such as borrowing Callan's bottle. While this is an improvement from diaper ingestion....it is still pretty irritating! I don't know if he thinks the bottle is the reason Callan is being held and cuddled and therefore if he has the bottle he'll get the same treatment, or if he knows it is food of some kind and just can't resist. I suppose the third possibility is he just wants to make trouble--but that seems so unlikely!!!!! ; )

I was talking to my brother Grant this week and he was telling me all the fifty things he did this past weekend and then asked me what I did and I said "besides hanging out with Callan, I went to Target!" At the time it was legitimately the only other accomplishment I could think of besides enjoying my time with Callan, but I felt super lame to throw Target out like it was a place to go for entertainment/socialization/recreation! I might find a grocery store with a cooler name so it sounds a little more adventurous. Or maybe I will take to lying...

In actuality, we did have lots of fun last weekend because we had visits from both sets of grandparents! Callan was in such a great mood last Friday when my folks were here....he smiled almost all night long. He was such a little prince my mom, dad and I would all three go to change him just so we didn't miss out on his smiling and cooing. Such a fun day must have worn him out---he wasn't quite as happy on Saturday for Roger and Elaine's visit...he was much more interested in eating than he was in visiting. Here's a picture of Eric's dad (the Cubs fan!) and Callan in his Cubs outfit (courtesy of Aunt Angie and Uncle Joe). After looking at this picture and the one of Eric and Callan--I think our son might be a bit of a chameleon...looking a little bit like whoever is holding him!

This week we are looking forward to visits from my friend Monica who will be visiting us from Kansas City, and Sarah who will be visiting us from Connecticut. We also have our Cardiology appt. on Friday....wish us luck!

No comments: