Friday, March 20, 2009

Keep Me Hanging On...

How sweet is this little face?


Looking at a picture of that beautiful boy is all I have been able to do since Tuesday night! I can not wait to get my hands on him! Hopefully I will get to go home tonight and do some cuddling!

Go home tonight? What does that mean you ask? Well I'll tell ya---we've had an adventurous few days. Apparently my body was in such a state of shock over not being able to celebrate St. Patrick's day in a style to which it had previously become accustomed, it was angered and took that frustration out on my appendix. Woo hoo. Long story short, Tuesday night I brought myself to the ER with the sole purpose of putting my hypochondria to rest. Instead, score 1 for the hypo! I had an appendectomy on Wednesday morning. So I haven't gotten to squeeze that baby for almost 72 hours! Painful!

Callan is enjoying himself at home with Grandma and Dad. In an interesting twist of fate, he is now eating mostly table food and I am on pureed food. De-lish!

So a little bit about my fabulous hospital stay....

1. WHY do they call a room semi-private? It is note even remotely private, let alone semi. When all that is separating you from another person's post-surgical noises and issues is a very thin curtain...there is no privacy what so ever. I am just so thankful to know that I am only here for a short while. And that soon I will be able to sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time. Who knew this little trip would make some of Callan's sleeping habits seem so desirable?

2. Gowned and fabulous! Hospital gowns are just wonder filled garments. I couldn't wait to get some personal items on under mine, so I asked Eric to please bring me a toothbrush, clean underwear and a sports bra. Obviously, the sports bra is for all of the jogging I've been doing while here. On Tuesday night, about 3 am I asked my nurse to grab my clean undergarments. She produced what looked to be a slightly frightening wad which I feared to be tights. Whew. Not tights, bra stuck to underwear with the hair tie I had asked for. Relief. Temporary relief. When I unfurled the combo pack I discovered that Eric had picked out the correct bra (good) and a pair of SPANX! (For those of you unfamiliar with the miracle that is SPANX, they are a fabulously hard working pair of spandex underwear that will smooth you into your fav little black dress, etc. Part physics, part physical (contortions are required to get into a proper fitting pair). What they are not, is post surgical wear. Perhaps it was the morphine cloud, but I found this to be particularly hilarious!

3. Having been fortunate enough to not have required hospitalization for anything other than the birth of Callan I have learned that sick folks come in all shapes and size. My new next door neighbor is a gal suffering from dementia that calls down the hallway for people. People she sounds angry at. Particularly last night, someone named Audrey Silverberg was really getting on her nerves as she yelled for her/at her several times. At about 1, 3 and 4 a.m. Very restful. Damn you Audrey.

Once again, a HUGE thank you to my parents. With out their help I am not sure how we would have survived this week! I am a 30 something who this week alone has had my mom doing my laundry, cooking my food, and if I had to put money on it, probably cleaning my house. And I also get the idea that while I am typing this she may be doing my grocery shopping. Not to mention caring for my baby! What a lucky girl I am! What would I do with out my mom?

No comments: