Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Blue Light Special

Well, one more day down in the NICU. We hope to be "released" on Friday. On Sunday, Callan got his feeding tube removed and was able to start mouth feedings...that was a very good day! One less tube or wire is a welcome relief...we are looking forward to having a cordless baby soon!


Callan has spent the last few days looking like he's at a beach. He has been under a special light to help control his jaundice. He gets "sprung" in about an hour---back to a crib instead of an incubator. Which also means he can wear clothes! Which is probably more exciting for Mom than for baby!


Today, after a second EKG, we got a better idea of what it was that was causing Callan's breathing problems. It appears to be a very common problem in many infants that deals with the closing of a duct near his heart. The physicians expect that it will close on its own in the next few weeks, and if not, it can be treated with medication. We were extremely relieved!!!


We are looking forward to finally bringing our boy home later this week. I was released from the hospital on Monday and after a lengthy bout of hysterics (on my part) was convinced that I couldn't properly recuperate by sleeping in the recliner in the NICU. Eric was right---I feel much better having had a few hours of sleep in my own bed. I also forgot that I hadn't been outside in 5 days...I missed the fresh air! I was also very glad to see Vegas! That guy has a few changes in store for him...life as a big brother!


Thank you all for your support and prayers! They seem to be working just the miracle we needed!

Love,

Callan, Eric & Joslynn

2 comments:

Kim said...

You crack me up Jos. Glad to know Callan is doing well! There is a pic of dad with the baby... but lets get one of mom on there ok? =) It will be a relief to get to take him home. I can't imagine how Vegas is going to handle this! He'll do just fine I bet. Love ya! Kiwi

DanaM said...

Glad to see Callan is getting some "sunlight". He is less than a week old and has it all figured out. A little Vitamin D goes a long way.

Glad to hear that things continue to go great! Can't wait to meet him!