Friday, June 13, 2008

Inside out. BOY, you turn me!




Introducing Callan James Gonnerman!

The most important and thrilling thing to write is that our son is healthy and resting comfortably tonight!

It has been a long 36 hours....

We arrived at the hospital for a scheduled C section yesterday morning. The operation went fine, it took a little longer than expected as the anesthesiologist had to try 5 times to find my epidural space. I'm sure you are all aware of my love for needles, so that was a super thrilling time for me...needle hitting my spine. Callan was born at 9:53 a.m. and weighed 10 lbs. 7 oz and is 23 inches long. He was the biggest baby in the nursery....his total weight beat the cumulative weight of a new set of twins---what an over achiever!

We spent the rest of the day yesterday introducing Callan to his family. He was able to meet everyone with the exception of two uncles and one cousin....what a lucky boy!

Unfortunately, last night at about 11 p.m. Callan began to have trouble breathing. He was breathing about twice the normal rate. Because of his rapid respiration, he had to be fed through a tube. About 6a this morning they ran labs and took an x-ray, and determined he needed to go to the NICU. Once in the NICU, they told us he needed an echo cardiogram to rule out a congenital heart defect. There aren't words for how frightened we were! Luckily, the cardiologist was able to rule out any heart abnormalities. So we are left with two possible culprits for his breathing difficulties, either pneumonia or fluid aspiration during birth. The treatment for either is similar---IV antibiotics and monitoring. So our son is spending the next 7 to 10 days in the NICU, but we are so relieved that the problem is temporary and fairly easily remedied. It's not the start we hoped for, but it is truly the best case scenario from what we were looking at this morning.

Two days ago, before coming to the hospital, I spent a few minutes crying to Eric, worried that I wouldn't feel like a mom since I wasn't going to have the birth experience I hoped for. I was worried that I wouldn't bond with Callan. Now, having only been a mom for less than two days, I am so overwhelmed at the instantaneous nature of the mother/child bond. I love that little boy so much it makes my heart ache to think of him. I can't believe how hard it is just to have him two floors away instead of in the bassinet in my room. I can't wait to heal him and have him come home to his family! What a love he is!

Also, I have to brag for a moment... besides having the most handsome son in the world, I am a lucky girl to have such a terrific husband. Eric has been taking care of his emotional basket case of a wife, his new son and our dog...and making it look easy all the while. Some how he has still managed to avoid changing a diaper (so far!), but he is a wonderful father, and it is so fun to see him with Callan. Thank you, Eric!!!!

Here are a few pictures of our boy...some from yesterday, some from today. One of our favorite shots is the picture of his footprint---another centimeter bigger and his feet wouldn't have fit in their stamp pad! We grow 'em big!






5 comments:

Terri said...

Joslynn~

Congratulations to you all--he is adorable! What a ride you have had. All of the wonderful emotions you are experiencing for the first time are something that just can't be explained to a mom-to-be. Now we can just smile and acknowledge what an amazing gift it is to feel so strongly about a little life that has now become your responsibility. There just aren't words to describe it. We are sending our love and blessings to all of you and will hold Callan in our prayers that he will have a very speedy recovery and soon be home with his truly special mom and dad! You should try to get as much rest as possible right now (I know you are on a "High")-- but it will serve you well when Callan comes home to be dazzled by his awesome nursery!

Callan-
Welcome to the big wide world of people who will love you so much!

Eric-
Great job!

The Hirschbrunner's

gobble1313 said...

That's one beautiful boy! Congratulations to the both of you. Y'all will be wonderful parents and I can't wait to meet Callan!

JoLene said...

Joslynn and Eric,
Congratulations on your new baby boy, Callan James. What a joy for you both. I'll say some extra prayers for Callan as he recovers from his breathing problems.
Can't wait to see the "litte" guy.
Should I call Bo Pelini, yet?
Love,
JoLene

Kim said...

Jos and Eric... Congratulations! He is so sweet, I can't wait to meet the little guy! Glad to hear he is healthy and I pray for a quick recovery for him.
Love you guys!
Kim

Jeanne said...

Ah, love at first sight! Even better the second time around, isn't it!?

Callan, Eric & Joslynn: I am so glad to hear that Callan is going to be fine. What a happy day!

Take care and I am looking forward to meeting him soon. Jeanne