Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fair Well

Last week Callan got to partake in a Hupf family tradition. The Nebraska State Fair!

What's that you say?

Another excuse to eat ice cream?

YES. Any excuse to eat ice cream!

side note. I discovered that the question that most often follows my declaration of "FAIR day!" is, "Did you buy a pool?" Answer. No. People, that was a one time thing. If you think Eric would fall for that again, you are sorely mistaken. Sheesh. One time you make an impulse purchase of an above ground pool at the fair and no one lets you forget about it.

Callan had a great time getting to spend the day with his Ni Ni and GG! Not to mention getting to meet horses, pigs, chicks, lambs and a funnel cake! (kidding. we just smelled them, I didn't let him indulge. He was still eating his breakfast round of ice cream at the time. one thing at a time!)

I had forgotten all there is to see at the fair, and then there are the exhibits, too! ; ) There is something about being at the fair that makes me seriously consider vegetarianism. Prize winning tomatoes don't stare back at you making you feel sorry for every capresi salad you've ever eaten. However, a sweet little baby piglet makes me reconsider my past breakfast meat indiscretions. In fact, I was totally relating to the pigs this fair. This scene alone had me totally thinking---"oh girl, I know how you feel!" But I don't think this sow was into telepathy, or perhaps relating. But then again, you are busy when you've got 10 little ones on your hands, so I'll try not to take it personally.


Callan did an awesome job of staying in his stroller, provided we kept up our end of the bargain and were actually strolling. When we slowed down some place where there were no animals, or marching bands or food Callan would point to the EXIT sign ( I swear he can read!) and shake his head so vigorously you'd swear it was going to roll right off his little neck.



When he finally did get out of his stroller, he was a man on a mission! He ran through the fair grounds whooping and hollering. He was a streak from the orange cones to the garbage can to the dirt to the wood chips. A lap over to the smoker shaped like a pig and back to the the chainsaw sculptor. Had I mapped him I imagine it would have looked something like one of those old Family Circus cartoons of Billy going to get something (remember those?)


I suppose this might just be my last trip to the fair...next year it moves to Grand Island, and I think driving 2 hours to explore the stick food group is a little over the top. Even for me. I have so many great memories of the fair growing up. Heck, the fair introduced me to a few great life experiences. 1. Monster cookies. 2. NKOTB! (first concert ever!) and 3. the joy of purchasing with my hard won allowance a beautiful feathered roach clip (SHEESH!) that I would try to clip on my ear for a sweet earring and then when I couldn't take the pain anymore transfer to my hair for a make shift rat tail. (The 80s were full of great ideas, I totally see why we're reliving them.) It was really special to share something that I have such great memories of with Callan, my mom and grandma. And even more special to get to share things like Pineapple Whip (mmm!) that my Grandpa shared with me. But Grandpa, if your listening---I draw the line at pop!!! So, fare well Fair. Thanks for everything!

No comments: