Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Staycation

That's the newest term for vacations where you don't work but stay close to home, right? Well Mr. Callan had a staycation of the best kind. He got to stay at home but have vacation from his parents! Nini and Papa spent all weekend with Callan while Eric and I headed to the Lake of the Ozarks.
Here are my thoughts on what was happening at our house.
Callan's weekend:
PLAY!
breakfast in bed
mid morning snack: ice cream
play
lunch: pizza, to drink: malts
nap
afternoon activity: eat ice cream
dinner: pizza
evening activity: blind taste test: ice cream vs custard
play
night night
repeat.
Meanwhile, here's what we GOT to do:
DAY one:
6 HOUR car drive to Missouri.
Check into world's most HORRIBLE motel. Officially marks new worst place I've ever stayed...worse than a leaking tent. Seriously. This place was horrific. I thought it would be bad, but it was way worse than bad. The good news is there was electricity. Just enough---one outlet for the room with a power strip and one outlet in the bathroom. There was also carpet in the bathroom, 75 thread count sheets, one porthole/window that looked into the hallway, and since obviously you'd want to spend ALL your time relaxing in your resort like accommodations, all the HBO you can watch on your 9inch TV. It should have occurred to me when one of their property 'pluses' was FREE HBO. If that is the only good thing you can say about your place, times are tough. I knew I was in really bad shape when the 'amenities' included a trial size bottle of Breck Shampoo. Seriously. I've never in my life used Breck and I'm fairly certain it stopped being manufactured about three decades ago. Think this place could use some updating??!?!? UGH!
WHY was this happening to me? All in the name of J-O-B. No, not Jobe, Job. Eric's job. Let the back patting begin. Good and dutiful wife. Good and dutiful wife. Yay me.


Day 2:
14 hours on a houseboat.
good news, beautiful scenery.
bad news, no CALLAN!
Day 3:
speed all the way home.
Phew.
We were both so glad to be home and see our baby! Here are some pictures I took at the park on the evening of our reunion...who would choose to be away from this guy???








No comments: