Monday, October 6, 2008

All in the Family



I think I can safely speak for Callan (and Eric) when I say what a fun weekend we had!!! Lots of family time and lots of new 'firsts!'


Callan loved getting to see Ethan and Liza and meeting his "cousin" Baxter. Baxter is about 5 months old and as cute as can be---Callan was the first baby that Baxter has met, and she was so sweet with him. Giving him lots of smells and tons of gentle kisses...I think both Callan and Baxter were equally curious about each other. Baxter is the first non-Vegas puppy that Callan has gotten to meet. I felt like you could kind of see him process...hmm. I've seen someone do those same things before--the licking, the smelling, the tail wagging....you look a little different than that guy...I wonder if you two know each other? Either that or maybe he was thinking, oh boy, here we go again!!!!


I think Eth was surprised at how big Callan has gotten. Heck, I'm surprised at how big Callan has gotten!!!! Callan was particularly fond of Liza's finger---on both Friday and Saturday he grabbed her by the pointer and wouldn't let go. Though literally he was wrapped around her finger, I'm not so sure it wasn't figuratively the other way around.


On Saturday we went out to enjoy the beautiful fall weather and take in one of the last Farmer's Markets of the season. It was a great morning! Uncle Grant bought us breakfast at the Upstream and while we all were sitting outside Callan got to see his first fire truck and got a wave from one of the firemen. He was happy to be outside and was loving the people watching (he was not alone on that front)...we had to cover his eyes while he witnessed his first act of parking-spot-stealing rage and then saw his first bird (and not the kind with feathers). It was a fun and eventful morning! Callan was so tired he fell right asleep on our way home, and knowing how badly he needed a nap I wanted him to keep sleeping, so we drove until he woke up....almost two hours later. Had I known how sleepy he was, we could have driven to Hastings to visit my Grandma! He definitely needed the rest as we had another big night of company with Eric's parents and his sister Gwynne coming over for dinner. We wrapped up the weekend w/dinner at my parents to say good-bye to the New Yorkers. Grant and Johanna were there and it is always fun to see them--they are both so busy--I never know how they have so much energy! Pretty impressive!


Not only is Callan growing so much, he is learning so much! Mostly through his sense of taste---everything he can get a hold of goes into his mouth! It won't be long and we are going to have to get a little more serious about baby proofing around here. My mom said that he was grabbing his toes this morning, and sure enough he showed me exactly how this evening. Won't be long until those make it to his mouth too! And, my Mom also backed up a claim Eric and I made this weekend---Callan waves!!!! If you call to him from across the room he will wave at you---not an open/close hand wave but a whole arm wave. Then again, he is moving all the time, so perhaps it is just repeated coincidence, but I prefer to imagine on the side of amazing advancement/potential genius.


XXX,

Jos


No comments: