Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Roll in the Hay

or

Our first injury

or

The Great Pumpkin Patch Pain


Actually, 'and' may be a more appropriate separator than 'or.' I know I have fallen behind in my posts...so here come a few to get us all caught up!


FIRST two weeks ago (Oct.12) Eric and I decided to celebrate the wonderful fall weather by taking Callan to a pumpkin patch. In theory, a fabulous idea, no? In practice, a pretty terrible one. The weather was beautiful--the pumpkin patch---not so much. We went to a smaller pumpkin patch instead of the most popular one. I can't remember if that is how the group of adventuring business men got off track in Deliverance...but it we probably should have just surveyed the 'patch' from the car and called it a day. First clue...large wooden structure which looked like a great climbing thing for kids was roped off w/yellow crime scene tape that said DANGER--BURIED ELECTRICAL LINE. Huh. Second clue, the first animal we took Callan to visit was a sweet little calf who had a terrible eye infection. At this point, I had both hands in the diaper bag digging for the Purell. Third clue, warning sign to pet animals at own risk---next to three little 'petting' areas. Seriously, this place was a wreck. But it was swarming with kids (and flies.) and I think Callan had a great time watching them all run around. It was definitely the most kids he has seen at any one time---I think he was pretty jealous of their freedom while he stayed strapped into the Dad-pack. Thinking I couldn't stand to miss a great photo opp of our sweet little pumpkin with a little pumpkin, Eric and I started to look for a place to take a few pictures. Low and behold, we found a great little place complete w/pumpkins, hay bales...the works. I was in charge of the camera and Eric was positioning Callan. Here are the two pictures in order...please note, photo one contains parental arm supporting baby. Photo two contains pumpkin supporting baby.
If there was a photo three it would be of me crying because Callan tipped over and scratched his face on the hay bale. I felt TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Callan recovered in about 30 seconds, I think I was scared permanently. I decided that over protective is definitely winning out in favor of under protective. Please ignore the bubble wrap that Callan will be wearing for the next 25 years. I'm sure it isn't as uncomfortable as it looks.

Love,

Jos

No comments: